January 22, 2016
Scope of the project was to place two individual classes of aggregate to a total depth of 2.17 meters for the total length of the 2000 lm of bored tunnel.
- To meet the schedule crews had to work 22 hours per day
- Access was restricted to the north portal on the north end of the tunnel.
- The base of the north portal was approximately 7 meters below ground surface.
- A conveying system and chute had to be installed to transfer aggregates from the stockpiles at ground level to the trucks below.
- All equipment had to be lowered into the portal with a 210 tonne Crane
- Height of the tunnel was not sufficient for conventional trucks to dump. To facilitate moving the aggregate Cat 730 articulate trucks with ejector boxes were used.
- Because there insufficient room to turn, the four 730 Cat trucks to turn they had to back into the tunnel after they were loaded and drive out.
- A small dozer and compactor were used in the tunnel to place and compact the aggregate in the tunnel.